The Impending Move

My last day in Nashville was a dreary one. In fact, when it’s rainy in Nashville, it looks a lot like Portland, which I definitely didn’t expect. It’s because both cities have lots of trees – and, of course, they’re both strongholds for the army of lizardmen that will soon be our overlords.

Brit and I ate lunch at the house and got ice cream at the Pied Piper, voted Nashville’s best ice cream. We both got The Professor, which is coconut with nuts in it. Being the sucker for coconut that I am, it was wonderful. Oddly enough, the chairs inside the Pied Piper were the same chairs that Beth Marie’s in Denton has, the ones with the black wire backing in the shape of a heart. I think that means every good local ice cream place has to have those chairs. I’m not going to check this hypothesis, but you’re welcome to.

Sitting on that porch eating our delicious ice cream while watching rainy Nashville, we started talking about apartments. Our talking turned into browsing on our phones, and before long we had a plan to check out a few different complexes to see if they were splattered in blood or anything (because naturally that’s what we look for in a place. Blood splatter = our new home). We first made a stop at Ugly Mugs, which is your typical cool and trendy neighborhood coffee place. Ugly Mugs was markedly more beardy, which made my face feel right at home. There were a lot of guys sitting around on laptops, probably writing the next great American novel. We got teas and then took off.

The first complex we saw had an awesome location and was very low-key, surrounded by trees and squirrels. The few people we saw walking around looked to at least be in their 30s and the place, once we were looking at it, seemed almost too cheap. We headed for the next one. It was located close to a gigantic cemetery (that made me want to write a thousand cemetery-based short films, which I’m not saying I won’t do) and wasn’t very well rated. Next door looked nice, but as we got closer we realized it was a retirement home. We might not be old enough.

We checked out some places downtown (bad location), then went far south and saw a kind of creepy condo. It was raining again and we decided that we needed to learn more about the locations that couldn’t be told to us through our phone browsers, so we headed back to the house. East Nashville is largely made up of houses, so it’s possible that we might have to get a house instead of an apartment. How we do this is a bit of a mystery, so we’re trying our hand at Craigslist, though Craigslist is sometimes moody and has decided not to post our ad until we gently massage its feet.

For dinner we had another store-bought pizza and drank some more local beers while watching Enter The Void. This movie is incredibly wacky. It was pretty long but didn’t really feel like it (twenty minutes shy of three hours) and follows a guy in Tokyo as he is killed and then floats around as a ghost. Parts I liked a lot and parts felt way too long (the ending in particular). The concept was great, and the way it was shot was really interesting, but as a ghost you can apparently only see the world of the living from overhead, and traveling between locations is done by flying across the city in a sequence that’s really cool a few times, but after being used over and over gets kind of boring. Nonetheless, it was visually impressive and a pretty insane ride. The poster pretty much tells you all you need to know about the amount of insane neon lights that there are in the movie:

My big interview was the Thursday before, and since the last words spoken to me, by the VP of HR, were, “We’ll be in touch soon regarding the next step,” I had been anxiously glued to my phone since. Friday went by without a call, something I rationalized by saying Fridays are weird and maybe they only worked a half-day or something. The weekend went by without me expecting a call, but then Monday was there and my phone held no news for me. I had been hoping I would find out before leaving Nashville on Tuesday with the plan that maybe we’d find a place to live with the knowledge that I would soon be back. No such luck, though.

Tuesday came and I got up semi-early and wondered if I should follow my parents’ advice and call the company asking if there was any news. I finally did it, left a message, and sat around for ten minutes waiting for a response. When none came I decided I needed to get driving, so off I went. The day was really dreary as I drove out of Tennessee and into Arkansas, and once I reached Little Rock the sun managed to show itself. I mostly listened to the Horns audiobook all the way back, which remained as interesting and entertaining as it was on my drive there. The story has the appeal of a guy recounting the death of his girlfriend (which he’s blamed for) compounded with the fact that he wakes up one morning with horns sprouting from his temples. Yeah, it’s weird.

I stopped for lunch at a gas station that had both a Subway and a Wendy’s attached. The Wendy’s had a huge line and one guy motioned me forward, saying, “I’ve already ordered. Been waiting on my food for thirty minutes.” I looked around and realized almost everyone else was also waiting for food, most of them impatiently. I promptly left that side and went to the Subway side, where the single employee said, “I like your eyes!” as if I’d chosen them myself. Well, I did. They were expensive.

After eating I took off, almost hitting my passenger side door with a guy coming out of his big truck. I apologized and he said, “Oh don’t worry about it, I’m just going to eat and I’m in no rush when I eat. Can’t hurry when you eat!” then he went inside, jolliest guy I’d meet on that Tuesday.

My ride was largely uneventful, punctuating my audiobook listening with various CDs and desperately wishing I would get that phone call. I never did.

I got back to Plano about 8 PM and played TF2 for a long time. I’m hopelessly addicted (though my addiction is helped along by looking at a site in which more than a few guys admitted to having clocked over 500 hours on the game. I’m sitting at 160, which I thought was a huge amount of time).

On Wednesday, while eating lunch and watching The Sopranos, I got an email from the VP of HR. He asked if I was available for a phone call on Thursday afternoon. I said that I most certainly was! At first, upon seeing I had an email, I thought that for sure that meant they weren’t interested. Then I saw he wanted to talk on the phone, and I thought surely that was a good thing. My dad said with a legitimate company offering a legitimate position, it’s possible that they just wanted to talk to say they weren’t interested. So then I didn’t know what to think.

On Thursday I started writing a long screenplay. It promises to be huge and I hope I can make it soon, but all of the creation depends on getting a good camera which depends on getting money which depends on having a job which depends on that phone call. And so then it came.

He called me, had some small talk about the weather, and then BOOM there it was. “We’d like to offer you the copywriting job,” he said.

He said when I start is largely up to me and to let him know. So then I told everyone. Brit and I scrambled to post a Craigslist ad, which, as I said, hasn’t worked out so well. Hopefully we can make well with Craigslist and get it up. I’ll most likely be leaving for Nashville next Friday or Saturday, and then finally the standstill I’ve been experiencing since graduation can cease. Things will start moving again, with a full-time job two states away from where I’ve lived my whole life.

The job search has felt like it’s taken a million years, when really it’s just been a few months. Everyone keeps telling me some people really do end up looking for years, and that sounds truly awful. It’s not right that highly educated people (more educated than I) can’t land full-time employment. The economy’s shot and everyone knows it, but no one knows how to fix it. Politics are dumb.

Now we plan for the move. I have a week left in Plano, and for all I know I won’t be back until the holidays (which really aren’t that far away). A change of scenery and a chance to actually make money will be radical enough, but compounded with all of the things I’ve been planning during my job search, it will be very different. And right now that sounds really nice.


~ by Jonathan Forisha on September 23, 2011.

One Response to “The Impending Move”

  1. […] the rest here: The Impending Move « The Loquacious and Lyrical Liltings of Jon C … Share and […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: