Resume Playing

It’s been a while, but I promise I have good reason.

The last time we’d spoken, I was about to leave for Nashville to attend a job I’d just gotten after months of searching. I left for Nastyville at 6 am, driving away from the comfortable home that I’ve lived my entire life in, away from my loving family that made all of this possible, and away from Baron the hungry cat and Bo the corgi, who excitedly runs to me whenever  I happen to sit on the ground. Having gone to college a mere 40 minutes from Plano, I never really got away. Of course, I never really wanted to. I liked Plano, liked my time in high school, and frankly didn’t understand the urgency that my classmates had felt during senior year. There seemed to be some force making the entire state an unbearable burden for them.

I still don’t understand it, however I do believe that leaving the state you’re born and raised in is a good thing, if only for a short time. I read a statistic recently that 40% of all Americans will always live in the town or a nearby town to where they grew up. That made me sad. We live in a large world, and as great as one area can be, exploring other cities and states can only make a person more understanding. Of course I understand familial obligations and such – but that’s why it felt like now was the time to get out and live in a different state that starts with a T.

My 10 hour drive was full of introspective thoughts. My car was crowded with my computer, practically all of the clothes I own (which, my mother and I found out, was quite a lot), blankets, an inflatable mattress, my mountain dulcimer, a lot of smaller things, and, strapped on the back, my bike. My dad went above and beyond in strapping the bike on to the car and wasn’t joking when he told me that the entire trunk would have to fall off in order for the bike or the bike rack to part with my car. During my entire trip, that bike didn’t budge an inch. Of course it was only after strapping the last of four bungee cords did we remember my spare tire and tire pump were in the trunk. Thankfully the car made it just fine.

I finished the Horns audiobook, which remained a good read throughout (even though I technically didn’t read it, I know). The end took my by surprise and at first I didn’t like it, but after a brief epilogue, it fit better. Definitely recommended. I spent a few hours listening to music such as Mew and Steven Wilson’s new jazz-tinged prog-rock album, and I had several phone conversations. The drive to Nashville was weird the second time around because I knew I wouldn’t be coming back for quite some time. The first time I knew I’d be back the next week, but this time I was driving surrounded by material bits of my life, bits that I would transplant to a new place that I would eventually call home.

Upon arriving in Nashville, Brit and I met with the guy who was trying to sell us a duplex, and within two hours we had signed, forfeited some money (not too much, though; Nashville’s remarkably affordable), and were the new renters of a duplex in east Nashville. We got some food, brought stuff inside, and drank beers while watching Road to Perdition on my laptop. The screen was tiny and we were awkwardly positioned on inflatable air mattresses in our furnitureless living room, but the feelings of incredibly fast change and unforeseeable futures was enough.

The first week was spent on air mattresses. They weren’t very comfortable, waking up on the floor surrounded by my computer and several boxes of my things. We spent our first weekend buying things for the duplex: a $32 TV stand for the TV we still didn’t have, more food, plates, pots and pans, light bulbs, a floor lamp, and other general household things. Brit’s aunt and uncle graciously let us have their old couch and chair, and suddenly our living room almost looked like it was supposed to.

On Monday I went to work for the first time. I spent the first two hours filling out a pile of paperwork, then went to a shady clinic to do a drug test and had a really good lunch with the VP of HR at Darfon’s. We came back and I went to a meeting with my team, where I didn’t understand anything. The week was basically spent questioning the loads of acronyms that everyone uses and feeling as if someone should look over the things I’m writing. Everyone has been very welcoming and my job so far is to describe all kinds of home decor with titles like hurricane, capiz, torchiere, and buffet lamps.

We didn’t have Internet until Wednesday, so we spent the first few evenings biking from our duplex to Ugly Mugs, where we’d sit with our laptops and drink awesome tea. Then we’d come back and watch a movie like this or this before heading to our respective air mattresses.

My parents came on Thursday, driving their Rav and toting a very packed trailer behind them. We unloaded everything (including more IKEA boxes than should ever be allowed in a single trailer) and then chose to make sense of it the next day. After an excruciatingly long wait at lunch with my parents on Friday, they went back to the duplex and started making my room into a room. When I got home, Brit had a constructed bed, we had a coffee table, and I had half a bed. By the time the sun went down, my room was a stylish thing of beauty and our living room had a lovely (and massive) TV as its centerpiece. Unfortunately we also found out that AT&T messed up our order and happened to not give us TV on our TV and Internet package. More phone calls to come!

We ate dinner with my parents outside at a pizza place at super-hip Five Points, where we happened to see a very strange occurrence. An SUV backed out of their parking spot and bumped the car of the woman behind them. The woman got out to talk to them but the SUV took off. Then a white car pulled up, spoke something to the woman (I believe it to be something like, “Hold still! I’ma get them suckas!”), and then took off after the SUV. Amazingly, ten minutes later the white car ushered the SUV back to the scene of the crime, its hitherto concealed interior police lights flashing and suddenly making sense of why in the world the white car decided to get involved at all.

After talking for a long time, the driver of the SUV had to perform a very lengthy sobriety test before walking all over talking to people (including the waiter of the pizza place for some reason). We left before they’d reached a conclusion, but by then there were two more police cars and the SUV driver appeared quite pissed. Moral of the story: don’t bump cars in Nashville. Cops hate that.

On Saturday morning we slipped in and ate free hotel breakfast with my parents at their hotel, then they came over and we put some more stuff together at the duplex. After my dad pointed out things to scare me (your breaker box has no lid and will blow up; your upstairs pipes could burst and drown you; this window’s really easy for someone to break and then unlock the door and kill you), my parents left.

Brit and I then drove downtown to Germantown, where the annual Oktoberfest was happening. We stood in a freakishly long line, got cool mugs filled with refreshing beer, and then walked around checking out the festivities. There were several bands, really funny dogs, and mediocre pretzels. When we left, we headed for 1st Street, right along the river. A zombie walk had been planned for that time of day, and though we weren’t participating, I still wanted to see it. We happened to drive right into the epicenter of zombies and even had the joy of being surrounded by zombies while stuck at red light listening to old Chili Peppers. It was a great time.

I drove way farther than I needed to and got a wireless adapter from Best Buy, then we checked out a Spirit Halloween store (HALLOWEEN IS CLOSE AND I LOVE IT) before heading home. That night we hung out at 3 Crow Bar and talked about big things like life. It was nice.

Today was spent playing games, watching horror movies like this (bad) and this (good), and then recording music. I have a lot of friends that play music and I like to play with all of them. Long ago I developed some kind of therapeutic calm from playing drums, particularly hand drums, and really like having excuses to play. Brit has always played music but inexplicably stopped during almost all of college. Then we both moved to Nashville and all of a sudden he’s a songwriting machine. We’re playing together and recorded some rough recordings today (thanks to my video camera, of all things), which are online here. Listen to them and nod your head and love them.


~ by Jonathan Forisha on October 9, 2011.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: